In the 12th century, Quadrivium was raised to the ground by Barbarossa. The people of the town then decided to build a new fortified settlement, “Castrum novum”, which over the centuries became Castelnuovo.
Like the other villages on Lake Garda, during its history Castelnuovo was controlled by a number of masters (the Della Scala and Visconti families, the Republic of Venice, the Austrian Empire). In 1867 the Municipality took on the name of “Castelnuovo di Verona”, acquiring its current name of “Castelnuovo del Garda” as late as 1970, as a result of the strip of land that reaches right down to the shores of the lake.
The "Campanello" lakeshore at Campanello, and the "Ronchi" lakeshore offer tourists a series of services and facilities for bathing at Lake Garda. Today Castelnuovo del Garda is best known as home to the Gardaland theme park.
“Moro del Castel” wine is made from the grapes grown on the morainic hills in the municipality of Castelnuovo del Garda.